Sunday, August 30, 2009

DF20: I made it!

I made it through the 30-Day DomesticMuse Dairy-Free Challenge, and I'm 3 days into the Dairy-Free and Sugar-Free Challenge.

Today was a little rough, I think because I did a pretty tough weights workout and need to be eating a bit more complex carbs than what is included in Cooler Plan 1. This was the "lightest" day so far, as the 2 meals following breakfast consisted of chicken and sliced celery and tuna with lettuce and tomatoes. Following my workout, I went out to buy groceries for the week and really hit the wall for the first time since I started this plan.

When I got home, I was really dragging. So I made myself a protein shake with almond milk and a banana. I'm in the process of switching from my usual whey-based protein powder (since it's made from dairy) to hemp-based protein powder, which I've heard works well. Since I had not planned on making protein shakes this week, I'd bought one packet of hemp/split pea powder last week to try, not wanting to invest in a lifetime supply without trying it first.

I was pleasantly surprised by the taste, which was actually really good. I'd been thinking I would have to add some cocoa and agave syrup to make it palatable, but it didn't need it. The color was kind of an otherworldly green, but quite tasty. It reminded me of my favorite fresh-juice smoothie that I used to get at the juice stand in Watertower Place in Chicago called Shopper's Energy Drink, which is also green because it contains spirulina.

I'm a little worried because after I had finished the shake, I was checking the ingredients list and found it contains stevia, a plant-based sweetener. I've never tried it, but it made my sister break out in hives. So far, so good. No rash.

The shake, with its combination of serious carbs from the banana and protein from the protein powder, did the trick. I felt much better afterwards. For some reason, the fruit that is supposed to be included in the plan is not on the menu plan for today or the next few days. Serious workouts require complex carbs, so I'll just have to monitor and see how I'm feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead! Make my day! I LOVE comments!

I try to respond to every comment. I usually answer comments Right Here, so check back. If you are new to DomesticMuse, Welcome, and I will be by to visit your blog soon!


Chi miigwetch SCL: thank you to my son for creating this logo
CLICK to enlarge image